Read the Advising Syllabus
Academic advising is an educational process that by intention and design, facilitates students’ understanding of the meaning and purpose of higher education and fosters their intellectual and personal development towards academic success and lifelong learning.
Advisor: Candice van Loveren Geis
Office: Fine Arts Center 333 Nunn Drive
Highland Heights, KY 41099
firstname.lastname@example.org | (859) 572-1521
Office Hours Fall: Monday and Wednesday 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.; Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
By appointment Office: Fine Arts Center 312 (859) 572-5648
As an advisee in the Visual Arts Program, you have the ultimate responsibility in the advising process and the results of that process. Your responsibilities include:
- Using MyNKU to find the name of your assigned advisor under My Advisor.
- Making an official advising appointment prior to your Priority Registration time by contacting your advisor directly.
- Preparing for your meeting by completing the Student Advising Preparation Sheet and the Major and Foundation of Knowledge Checklists.
- Arriving at your advising appointment on time with your forms completed and prepared for the topic of that particular meeting.
- Asking questions if you are unsure about university or departmental policies or procedures.
- Knowing and understanding the academic calendar and being aware of important deadlines as published by the university.
- Taking control of your learning by reviewing the University Catalog, the Schedule of Classes, and the Code of Students Rights and Responsibilities.
- Updating your Major, minor/area of concentration, and Foundation of Knowledge checklists using MyNKU each semester.
- Retaining all copies of university documents that you receive, including all paperwork given during your advising meetings.
- Accepting responsibility for your education by making your own decisions in a timely manner.
- Communicating important decisions and changes in registration status with your advisor and other affected faculty members.
- Utilizing your NKU email on a regular basis to receive important messages from your advisor and other university announcements.
- Checking the Canvas Community: Art Advising regularly for important announcements and other information.
- You are required to meet with your advisor every semester prior to registration until you have earned 30 credit hours or the first year of attendance for transfer students. It is up to you to contact your advisor for an advising meeting. After you have earned 30 credit hours it is recommended that you meet with your mentor advisor regularly.
In Visual Arts you can expect your advisor to:
- Listen to you and assist you in developing an educational plan to meet your goals effectively and efficiently.
- Maintain confidentiality and only pass on information on an “as needed” basis to better serve you.
- Have a broad base of knowledge concerning programs, policies, and procedures at the university level and beyond.
- Assist you in setting realistic goals.
- Encourage and help you to meet your maximum potential.
- Be able to navigate the educational student system to obtain the most current and accurately dated information to provide quality advising.
- Continue to increase his/her knowledge base by attending professional workshops, training sessions, conferences, and conducting independent research.
- Be flexible and willing to try new and innovative ways of advising.
- Communicate with you regularly regarding important advising information. Expected Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will learn to make informed and independent decisions about their educational plans and other academic issues.
- Students will become more knowledgeable about curriculum, policies, and procedures.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of general education and major requirements.
- Students will become more self-sufficient in the advising process, but continue to consult their advisor for routine updates and questions.
- Students will make use of services and resources on campus to help them fulfill their educational plans.
- Students will assimilate knowledge from their major and graduate in a timely manner.
- Students will be able to navigate and utilize MyNKU or contact the MyNKU Support Center.