Skip to main content

Professional Licensure

If considering an academic program that leads to a professional licensure (example: Education or Nursing), it is recommended students first contact the appropriate licensing agency in their home state prior to starting a program outside their state of residency.  It is the student’s responsibility to contact the appropriate licensing entity in the student’s home state to confirm whether a NKU program will meet the requirements for licensure in that state.  Although a program may be available in your resident state, there may be additional obligations required by the institution and NKU has the right to determine if program will be available in state of residence. 

Though SARA authorizes the University to offer its programs in member states, there is the possibility that other state requirements not covered by SARA (such as requirements from state licensing boards) could necessitate the restriction of certain programs in certain states. Please note that should you choose to enroll in a restricted program in a particular state, there may be restrictions that could affect you. Examples could include:

  • you may be unable to sit for local licensing in that state
  • you may be ineligible for consumer protection that state
  • you may not be able to complete field placements (practicum, internship, clerkship, etc.) in that state. This could affect licensure or recognition of the degree to meet particular requirements in that state.

Additionally, if you move during the course of your studies to a state where your program is restricted, please be aware that you are taking a risk that you may not be able to complete that program or use any of the credit earned in that program should you decide to pursue licensing in that field in that state. Please note that the risks listed above are not exhaustive. Please verify with your state’s professional licensing board that your plans are not impacted by these risks.

Students who are considering an academic program that may allow them to pursue professional licensure in their state or territory are strongly encouraged to check their state’s or territory's information below and contact the appropriate licensing agency to seek information and additional guidance before beginning a program outside of their state.