Skip to main content

About KTAP and Eligibility

In Kentucky, there is a program that can help families with dependent children. It is the Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (KTAP). KTAP provides temporary cash assistance to families with a dependent child who lack the support of one or both parents. KTAP also helps individuals find a job or receive training that leads to a job.

A family that includes an adult can receive KTAP for only 60 months (5 years) in a lifetime. Every month the family receives KTAP counts toward the 5-year limit. The family does not have to receive KTAP for 5 years straight. The family can receive KTAP for 2 years and stop. Later that same family can receive 3 more years.

To be eligible for KTAP, a student must:

  • be a resident of Kentucky.
  • enrolled at Northern Kentucky University.
  • receive KTAP (Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program) funds from the state of Kentucky, Department for Community Based Services (DCBS).

For more information on any of these services, please contact Karis Hawkins, the Coordinator of Parents Attending College, at Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:15a until 4:30p (excluding University holidays).

For more information on KTAP, please visit the website for the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services at