Graduate Concentrations for Dual-Credit Teaching


Individuals who would like to teach college-level courses in high schools and community colleges can take 18 credit hours of graduate coursework in a particular discipline. Certified teachers interested in teaching “dual-credit” courses in Kentucky or Indiana, or “college credit plus” courses in Ohio, must take graduate-level courses to enhance their disciplinary content knowledge. Those who complete the required coursework will be eligible to teach introductory level courses in that particular discipline.

The 18 credit hours of graduate coursework can be used as a concentration for: (1) the Master of Arts in Education (MAED) – Teacher as Leader program; (2) the Education Specialist (Ed.S.) – Teaching and Leading program; or (3) Rank 1 certification in Kentucky.

What You Can Teach

You may choose to pursue one of the following graduate concentrations:

  • Communication
  • Computer Science
  • English
  • History

Program Contact Information

Ms. Diana VonHagel
Specialist, Graduate Education



Our NKU Teacher Education programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation.


Beyond the Classroom

Completing the 18-credit graduate coursework in a particular discipline will enable educators to teach college-level, introductory courses in high schools and community colleges.

In addition, you will develop disciplinary content expertise which may be used to evaluate curriculum and teaching practices and to position you for leadership opportunities in your school, district, or community college.