Organizing videos

Organizing videos

Postby Cindy Aossey on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:31 pm

I'd love to hear from others what tips or suggestions they have for organizing their videos. I'll share a few right here...

I use the flip video to record my Math Recovery teaching. I also write all of my lesson plans in Microsoft Word. To organize my files, I put a hyperlink in my lesson plan that takes me directly to the video of the corresponding lesson. That way, when I'm looking at that lesson, I can just click on the hyperlink and the video starts playing. To put a hyperlink in a word file, do the following:

(1) Highlight the word or words you'd like to become the hyperlink
(2) Type ctrl-K OR go to Insert -> Hyperlink
(3) A dialogue box should open. Chose the name of the desired video or file
(4) The words should become blue & underlined

Just be sure not to move or change the name of the files. If you do, your hyperlink will no longer work.

I also like to start the title of my videos with the date in the "year_month_date" format. For example, a video taken on July 3 in 2008 would be labeled "2008_07_03_...." This keeps my videos in chronological order.

I'd love to hear what others are doing.

Cindy
Cindy Aossey

Re: Organizing videos

Postby bethany neel on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:40 am

I have a Sony Handycam, and it comes with viewing software that has a calendar built into it. I just pull the videos off, and I save them in a folder with the child's name so I can get to them through Windows explorer if I need to. Then when I want to access them, I can open the viewing software, click on the day, and then it shows a thumbnail of the beginning of the video, so I can choose from all the videos I recorded that day.

It is awesome and makes it very easy to store and find video.
bethany neel

Postby Becky Reister on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:15 pm

I haven't figured out a way to copy files from the flip camera to a DVD. Has anyone figured that out?
Becky Reister

Postby Alice Gabbard on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:57 pm

Becky,

Converting from Fip Video (.avi file) to DVD can be accomplished (slowly) with conversion software, such as Movavi.
Alice Gabbard

Postby jbingham on Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:24 pm

I haven't moved into the technology age yet. My camera uses the mini DVD's. I simply record on the mini. Each mini holds three lessons. I write the names of the three students on the sticky note that comes with the tapes. As I review the tape, I write the time that each lesson begins next to each name and file them in a box. When I need to go back and look for a particular date/time, all I have to do is look at the sticky label on the tape to know where to find that particular lesson. If I want to make a clip of something from the lesson, I write the date/time in my journal notes for that day. I try to make my clips on Fridays. I then use the Video Points of Interest (VPI) form for the clip. I have each VPI form numbered, starting from one. What every number I write on the form I also write on the DVD clip. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks!
jbingham

Return to Video