Subtraction with regrouping

This is where KCM Community members share questions and answers. The public may view these conversations.

Subtraction with regrouping

Postby Tonya.Fox on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:05 am

A classroom teacher mention to me that one of the intervention students is having trouble with doing subtraction with regrouping. The student is in the second grade.

Do I work on teaching the algorithim that they usually see where the numbers are stacked on top of one another, or should I focus on the quanity of the number and use other strategies? I guess I am asking, at what point if any, do you move on to the procedure of subtraction? I am just not entirely sure where to start with teaching subtraction with regrouping.

Thanks!
Tonya Fox
MIT
Owsley County Elementary
Tonya.Fox

Re: Subtraction with regrouping

Postby Mary Gagne on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:35 pm

I think in the standards that teaching the algorithm does not occur until third grade. I would focus on teaching through other methods.
Mary Gagne

Postby Tonya.Fox on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Thank you! I think that may be best as well. Does anyone have any games for subtraction that they really like?
Tonya.Fox

Postby jbingham on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:35 pm

I use the popsicle sticks when I am working on subtraction. The students are able to take them apart and regroup if necessary. I write the problem out and have them represent the numbers with the sticks, if needed. They are able to manipulate the sticks however needed to solve the problem.
jbingham

Postby wendie.edmonds on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:19 pm

The Delivery games on the KNP Guide are very good for the teaching of subtraction with regrouping and can help you to transition from bundles ands sticks to the algorithum.
wendie.edmonds

Return to Questions for the Community