April 10, 2004
NKU WRAPS UP UNBEATEN GLVC RECORD
Norse men extend GLVC unbeaten streak to 21 with 9-0 win
HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, Ky. - The Northern Kentucky University mens tennis team extended its Great Lakes Valley Conference win streak to 21 Saturday with a 9-0 victory against Bellarmine University.
NKU improved to 13-3 overall, 8-0 in the GLVC. The Norse - who finished unbeaten against GLVC teams for the second straight regular season - will be the No. 1 seed at the upcoming GLVC Championships.
Amine Benjelloun posted a 6-0, 6-1 win over Phillip Merrill at No. 1 singles competition on Saturday. Benjelloun also teamed with Billy Hopkins for an 8-3 victory at No. 1 doubles.
NKU is the defending GLVC champion. The Norse have not lost to a GLVC opponent since April 19, 2002, when the University of Missouri-St. Louis posted a 5-3 win over NKU at the GLVC Championships.
NKU is ranked 37th in the NCAA Division II national poll.
NKU 9, Bellarmine 0
1. Amine Benjelloun (NKU) defeated Phillip Merrill, 6-0, 6-1
2. Oliver Marinkovic (NKU) defeated Brandon Campbell, 6-3, 6-3.
3. Marek Pawelec (NKU) defeated Will Logan, 6-0, 6-0.
4. Nick Herzog (NKU) defeated Jake Wolf, 6-0, 6-0.
5. Billy Hopkins (NKU) defeated John Esterle, 6-1, 6-1.
6. Ted Walkup (NKU) defeated Robert Berry, 6-0, 6-0.
1. Benjelloun/Hopkins (NKU) defeated Jake Kirts/Merrill, 8-3.
2. Herzog/Marinkovic (NKU) defeated Logan/Randy Pike, 8-1.
3. Walkup/Pawelec (NKU) defeated Campbell/Esterle, 8-4.