May 1, 2003
NKU DEFEATS SOUTHERN INDIANA, 5-4
Norse win in NCAA first round
MIDLAND, Mich. - Amine Benjelloun posted a 7-6, 7-5 victory over Paulus Halim at No. 1 singles Thursday as the Northern Kentucky University mens tennis team defeated the University of Southern Indiana, 5-4, in the first round of the NCAA Division II Tournament.
Benjelloun, who improved to 21-4 this season with the win, also teamed with Billy Hopkins at No. 1 doubles for an 8-5 victory against Paulus Halim and Daniel Halim. Nick Herzog and Ted Walkup also recorded victories in singles competition for NKU, which improved to 22-5 and defeated Southern Indiana for the third time this season.
Herzog and Walkup also teamed up at No. 3 doubles for a 9-8 victory over Ryan Hughes and Chris McCreight for NKU, which had never won an NCAA Tournament match before Thursday.
NKU will meet Northwood (Mich.) University - a 5-1 winner over the University of Indianapolis in the first round - in the regional finals on Friday. A year ago, the Norse dropped a 5-0 decision to Northwood in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
NKU 5, USI 4
1. Amine Benjelloun def. Paulus Halim, 7-6, 7-5
2. Weston Phillips def. Chris Robertson, 6-2, 7-6
3. Nick Herzog def. Bhavesh Chadda, 6-3, 6-4
4. Ryan Hughes def. Billy Hopkins, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Ted Walkup def. Daniel Halim, 7-6, 6-4
6. Chris McCreight def. Jon Peters, 6-4, 6-3
1. Benjelloun/Hopkins def. P. Halim/D.Halim, 8-5
2. Phillips/Chadda def. Peters/Robertson, 8-3
3. Herzog/Walkup def. Hughes/McCreight, 9-8