April 20, 2002
NKU CAPTURES THIRD PLACE
Norse mens tennis team defeats Indy in consolation match
INDIANAPOLIS - Nick Herzog won at No. 5 singles and teamed with Ted Walkup for a victory at No. 3 doubles Saturday as the Northern Kentucky University mens tennis team defeated the University of Indianapolis, 5-3, to capture third place at the Great Lakes Valley Conference Championships.
Billy Hopkins and Ronnie Pedro also were victorious for NKU in singles competition. NKU, now 12-11 overall, is currently ranked No. 7 in the regional poll and is expected receive a berth in the NCAA Division II Tournament when the pairings are announced this Wednesday. The top eight teams in the poll qualify for the NCAA Tournament.
NKU 5, Indianapolis 3
1. R.B. Hervey (UI) def. Amine Benjelloun, 6-4, 6-3
2. Marko Saulovic (UI) def. Chris Robertson, 6-1, 6-3
4. Billy Hopkins (NKU) def. Ryan VanDonselaar, 6-2, 6-4
5. Nick Herzog (NKU) def. Scooter DeMare, 6-1, 6-0
6. Ronnie Pedro (NKU) def. Justin Brown, 6-2, 6-4
1. Hervey-Saulovic (UI) def. Benjelloun-Hopkins, 8-5
2. Robertson-Peters (NKU) def. Salhi-Brown, 8-4
3. Walkup-Herzog (NKU) def. VanDonselaar-Cook, 8-5