April 12, 2003
NKU CLINCHES GLVCS NO. 1 SEED
Norse defeat Southern Indiana, 5-4
EVANSVILLE, Ind. - Amine Benjelloun improved to 17-3 at No. 1 singles Saturday with a 6-4, 7-6 victory over Paulus Halim as the Northern Kentucky University mens tennis team wrapped up the No. 1 seed in the Great Lakes Valley Conference Championships with a 5-4 win over the University of Southern Indiana.
Benjelloun also upped his GLVC mark at No. 1 singles to 7-1 with the victory as NKU (17-3 overall, 8-0 GLVC) clinched the GLVC regular-season championship. Billy Hopkins posted a 6-2, 6-3 win over Ryan Hughes at No. 4 singles to improve his record to 18-2 this season.
Benjelloun and Hopkins also teamed up at No. 1 doubles for an 8-4 win over the duo of Paulus Halim and Daniel Halim. For the season, Benjelloun and Hopkins are 15-5 at No. 1 doubles competition.
NKU, which has won nine straight matches, will be the No. 1 seed at this weeks GLVC Championships in Indianapolis, Ind. The Norse will be seeking their first GLVC Championships title since 1990.
Southern Indiana, now 8-8 overall and 6-2 in the GLVC, will enter that event as the four-time defending champion.
NKU 5, USI 4
1. Amine Benjelloun (NKU) def. Paulus Halim (USI), 6-4, 7-6
2. Weston Phillips (USI) def. Chris Robertson (NKU), 7-5, 6-2
3. Bhavesh Chadda (USI) def. Nick Herzog (NKU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Billy Hopkins (NKU) def. Ryan Hughes (USI), 6-2, 6-3
5. Daniel Halim (USI) def. Ted Walkup (NKU), 6-2, 4-6, ret.
6. Chris McCreight (USI) def. Jon Peters (NKU), 6-1, 6-6 ret.
1. Benjelloun/Hopkins (NKU) def. P. Halim/D. Halim (USI), 8-4
2. Robertson/Peters (NKU) def. Chadda/Phillips (USI), 8-3
3. Herzog/Walkup (NKU) def. Hughes/McCreight (USI), 8-6